Monday 17 February 2014

Actif Epica - Report 1 - The basics

I finished, in about 13 hours, and about 13th place. This is me coming in at The Forks, getting hugs from Bekah and Sara.



There was (and still is) a lot of snow out there, and the wind came in steady from the North at between 20 and 30 km/h for the whole day.

It was hard and I learned a lot about several things, most of which had to do with riding a bike in winter for more than 12 hours. This was not a commute.

Thanks so much to the organizers and volunteers and to Graham, Kevin, Luke, Mark (and at the end Svetlana) for riding along with me. My dogged inner spirit needed other dogs to keep me going at a few points.

Shortly I will say more about this, I'm just going to take enough time to say it with care (and hopefully with a few more photos).

4 comments:

  1. Hey - excellent work! Glad to see you made it. It's interesting to see which checkpoints you spent more time at. I hope it was a good experience for you overall. I hope that I can make it out to participate sometime too.

    TK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that information. At Niverville (checkpoint 3) I thought I was done, but I ate, and changed into dry clothes, and I could go again. Also, there was a group of five of us working together. That made a huge difference too. After that I knew I could make it, it was just a matter of time ...

      Delete
    2. The Actif Epica 'tracker' is on this page:

      http://actifepi.ca/actif-epica-2014-liveblog/

      I'm guessing you've seen it by now, but just in case...

      TK

      Delete
    3. I would love it if you'd come out to do it. Your companionship on the trail would be sweet!

      Delete