Saturday 1 February 2014

Epica prep report

The Actif Epica is a 130 km ride/race from St. Malo to Winnipeg, via dirt roads, gravel roads, and the Crow Wing Trail. It happens on Feb 15, in two weeks. I've signed up. The course map indicates five check-stops with "stages" varying in distance from 12 to 30 kms. Today I rode 12 miles (19.2 kms) to see what that might be like. I rode a circuit of 9 miles of dirt roads that are not cleared, with three miles of gravel all-weather roads. It was -18'C and the wind was about 13 kms from the NW. I rode North first, for 4 miles, West for 1 mile, South for 5 miles, and so on. There were a lot of drifts.

 Here's what I learned:

The bike
I commute to and from work (16 kms round trip) all winter, so I have an idea of what I'm in for. But I'm not going to use the cross bike a commute on for this race. On the advice of a racer from last year's race, who did use a cross bike, I've decided to ride a 26" mountain bike (no cash just now for a fat bike and, though I'm sorely tempted by them, I'm not certain yet), on which I have put the fattest tires I could find (2.65 inch downhills). They worked pretty well today. I had to get off three times, but for the most part I could ride over the drifts or follow the tracks of a whatever truck or tractor or snowmobile had gone before. I'm happy with the bike decision, though I'll have to adjust the set-up to get the right riding position. It's too upright for me. 

Shifting
You have to be patient, and anticipatory, when you shift. Even when it's only -18'C, the shifter and derailleur are pretty slow to "click" into place. I've got some aerosol de-icer I'm going to spritz into the levers to de-grease them. 

Goggles
I sweat. Even without a face mask, my goggles were frosting up at 4 miles. I didn't treat them with dish soap (which I definitely will), but I'm guessing it will be unlikely that I'll be able to use them for a full 20 kms. Either I'm going to have to slow down, and not generate as much heat, or I'll fog up. 

Sweat
Damn. I just sweat too much, and I have this lie I tell myself, that if I'm not sweating I'm not working hard enough. It's a pain in the ass, really. And it's really not great for this race. I wore three layers today: a lightweight hooded polypro baselayer, a lightweight zipped fleece, and a uninsulated windbreaker. I was not cold, ever. By the end of this 20 kms the base layer was completely wet, and my thin skullcap and the baselayer hood were fused, by ice, to my sideburns (shave them off?) and it hurt to remove them (1st world problem).

Boots
I was sure that my ankle high winter-rated Columbias would be enough, if I wore good merino wool socks. This has just proven not to be the case. I believe it'll be Sorels for me. I'll take the straps off the traps, and still use the plastic pieces to help stabilize my feet on the pedals.

Gloves
Awesome. Thank you Farm Service for your super leather-palmed, unbranded, work mitts. No problems there.

Legs
Two layers was enough. Bike shorts (obviously), a mid-weight base layer, and then a wind-barrier front overlayer (also tights) was just fine. Not hot, not cool. I may put something over my left knee, which has some sensitivity issues due to a past injury. 

All in all, I'd be fine with race day being a day like today. If I had a picture of the roads it'd look like snow drifts over a dirt road, and sometimes, just snow drifts, and no road. Good times ... sorta.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds great - I'd love to take the Pug out on this race. I've done a few longer rides on it (~22km) and it's a blast in the clear in top gear - almost more fun than when I'm just creeping along on top of the snow on an uphill (which is still a lot of fun because I'm 'floating' on snow that wouldn't normally hold up me and a bike). Anyway, I think you're on the right track. Can't help you with the sweating though...

    TK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think there is a fat bike in my future, just not in my near future. When I get one, it will become my summer mountain bike, and my extreme winter conditions vehicle. However, I'm still partial to using a cross bike set-up as a commuter. It's faster and cuts easily through any drifts on the roads I'm riding. For this Epica race a fat bike would be nice, but because I'm not that heavy, I don't think it makes as big a difference for me, as it does for you. Just sayin'. I would love to ride a fat bike on trails in summer. I think that would be super fun! It's either that, or a 29'er. The truth is, though, that I don't ride trails that much (4 times this year).

      Delete
    2. I think I do understand - and it makes sense, in a way. I don't really have any experience commuting on a fat bike - all of my rides so far have been recreational, aside from a 23km ride to D's Mom's place over the Xmas holiday (which was awesome - it wasn't really cold but it had iced up just a couple of days before, so I rode on top of the snow in the way, way back without taking too much air out of the tires. And then when I got onto the back roads, even when they were pretty snowy/slushy, I could just fly. At least it felt like flying - there's a good amount of inertia in those big tires...)

      Anyway, I'm jealous that you are doing the Actif Epica and I wish I could join you. I hope you have a great time and I'm looking forward to hearing how it went.

      TK

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete