Sunday 16 June 2013

Riding ketchup

11 June 2013
More (minor, but still something) Muerto prep: 50+kms of gravel, dirt, and dykes with FR. Very good. But my need for a computer is evident. I don't keep a steady pace. FR complains about it. I surge when I don't need to. Apparently especially when obstacles present themselves, like hills, and so on.

15 June 2013
After a bit of a riding gap I finally have a day, and it's stupid windy from the West. (On the upside, the wind's finally coming from the West!) But I have to ride, so I make it short and intense: 16 kms with wind one way (to the 75) and then back, into the wind - 32 kms. It took just over 18 minutes to get to the 75, and about 40 minutes to get back. 

Another upside, I received my new cycling computer that evening. 

16 June 2013
The computer works! Using it (it includes heart-rate monitor) may change riding for me, a lot. First, it's going to be good to see my speed again, to help keep a steady pace. Second, using the hrm makes you realize the difference in energy spent between a heart-rate of 135, and 145. I think I could going at 135 a lot longer than I could at 145. I went out for 10 kms (there was a similar sort of wind as the day before) and it was easy to see how important it will be to ride smarter, not harder. For Muerto survival/endurance purposes this information will be helpful. 

Muerto shopping
Bag decisions? Frame bag? Top tube bag? What to buy, and from whom?

Water? I've decided against a hydration bag, because I hate wearing anything on my back when riding, and because I'm not a fan of sucking out of those nipply thingys. I'll carry three bottles: 2 behind the saddle, and one on the frame, just below/behind the frame bag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment